Monday, June 16, 2008

Let's Go Rocco!

Photobucket

TORREY PINES, CA -- It's a modern day David vs. Goliath. When Tiger Woods made the shot of the century on the 18th yesterday and made it look easy, all he did was force a playoff with Rocco Mediate at the U.S. Open.

Get this, Tiger Woods forced a playoff and is currently a heavy favorite.

I think Tiger is an appropriate name for Woods considering he's like a tiger on the prowl. Sleek, vicious, accurate and a heavy favorite in the jungle. The man has won 64 majors and is the best golfer in the World, maybe all-time. I think he is.

Then there's Rocco Mediate. First off, what a great name! Secondly, he's a local of sorts for me, growing up in Greensburg, Pa. Greensburg is where my cousins grew up, and where I visit my aunt and uncle for holidays. It's not a country club kind of place.

Mediate went to college at Florida Southern, a strong Division II golf program, not even D-1 like Stanford. He currently resides in Naples, like Woods resides in Windemere, right outside Orlando.

He's 45 and taking interview questions like a champion. He doesn't answer them seriously, he's having fun. Mediate is enjoying the moment.

The No. 1 player player in the world versus the 158th ranked player, and a shot for the oldest player ever to win the Open.

Odd stats for this event, Mediate is 2-0 in overtime matches. Woods is 10-1.

I like Woods. I think Woods is a great symbol of athletic prowess in America and I'll root for him all the time. However, I think in this case, and you can tell by the crowd, people are pulling for Mediate.

Everyone loves an underdog! Make us proud Rocco! Show us how America was built, on the little guy toughing it out.

No comments: